Friday, June 26, 2009

Fun at the Pool

I had promised the boys during the hotter part of this week that we would go to the pool on Friday. Rob only worked until 10am today and we could go while Anna was napping (and Rob.) The humidity was gone today so it didn't seem as urgent, but a promise is a promise and we set out after lunch.

But, before lunch, Mommy needed to find a swimsuit. I had shopped for one yesterday but couldn't find anything to my liking. I then headed to Lane Bryant to see what they had. More expensive for sure, but I have a credit card there that earns me points and I can usually find something. I found a cute pink suit: it's either a sundress pretending to be a swimsuit or vice versa, but it's cute and it works.

A friend of mine called today and said she had two extra pool passes they couldn't use, so the boys got in for free. We went over pool rules, namely "don't run" and "don't pee in the pool." The peeing part sunk in but two excited little boys couldn't help running. The lifeguard in me wanted to blow my whistle, but I left my Fox40 at home, lol. The Aquatic Center in town has a graduated-depth pool and we hung out on the shallow side. It has two small slides, a waterfall mushroom thing, and other fun things for the kids to do and play on. We also ran into several families from church, so the boys had their usual playmates as well. (And I had some fellow moms to talk to.) But there was one thing that lured Matthew like a moth to a flame....the BIG waterslide.

The waterslide is a moderate-sized slide, but for a child that just barely meets the height requirements, it's the coolest thing ever. We measured him at the height line and he went on up the huge flight of stairs. Then came back down. Then left me later to go up. Then came back down. He said the lifeguard kept asking him if he was tall enough and he was just a little scared to go down the thing. Then finally, I saw him up at the top again. He wouldn't go down and kept letting everyone go ahead of him b/c he wanted to go last. I found this out from several teens who came down the slide laughing and filled me in on what was happening at the top. Finally, the lifeguard at the top convinced him to go down, and he came down fast! He hit the water and panicked a little, but the guard at the bottom caught him and brought him to me. Matthew sputtered and coughed, then said it was great! I told him we'll wait until he's a little taller and knows how to swim before he tries again.

Around 2pm, the lifeguards took their break and we took off. Two hours was plenty for us. The boys are slightly pink, but not to bad. I used a different sunscreen which was apparantly not as effective...my arms and face are starting to feel very warm. I guess I'll use their stuff from now on!

We had a great time and I think we'll try to make it part of our summer routine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matthew was very brave to want to try the slide. Rob used to be that way. I can't imagine Ben trying it at Matthew's age unless Matthew talks him into it.

Mom L