Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Christmas Carol

Last night, Rob and I took Matthew to see Maranatha's production of A Christmas Carol. Matthew has seen the Mickey Mouse version more times than I can count, so I knew he had the basic storyline down. This was his first live performance, however, so Rob and I were both hoping for the best. He kept asking me questions about the story this week as well as who would play what parts. Two of his friends were in it (one as Tiny Tim and one as Ignorance) and there were several other children and adults he knew in it as well (Scrooge, Christmas Past, and various other roles.) He did ask me who was playing Jimeny Cricket and Mickey Mouse, so we had to explain a few more things to him :)

Rob didn't call for our tickets until Tuesday, but we ended up with front row seats. I was so glad b/c I wanted Matthew to be able to see everything. Since Rob's alumni membership is current we got in for free: otherwise it would have cost $25. Go Alumni!!!

We dropped off Anna and Ben at the sitters and got to MBBC a little early. Matthew was a bit bored in the lobby waiting, and when he gets bored, he gets creative. We were able to keep him busy until we got to our seats. We had explained to him that we couldn't leave once the lights were down so he agreed to hit the bathroom beforehand. And then the play started. Matthew was hooked from the first word! Being opening night, it was a little shaky at the start, but picked up quickly, especially when Jacob Marley entered. They had rods or something in the actors costume so when Scrooge asked him to sit down, it looked like he was sitting in mid-air. Matthew was soooo excited and still says that was his favorite part. There was lots of smoke and some strobe light action during the Christmas Future part. Matthew gripped my leg, put his hands over his ears (but not his eyes) and grabbed my arm and put it over his head, but he just loved it! He also kept telling me it wasn't real, but I think he was trying to convince himself :)

When it all ended, he was beyond excited. He can't wait to go to another play! The Lion King will be in Madison at the end of April and I'd like to take both boys to see it. Looks like we have the makings of another theater junkie in the family!

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Sounds fun! We took our boys to see Charis's show Oz: The Musical. They ended up having to sit on our laps because it was an old theater with chairs that weren't off-set, and they couldn't see the stage from their own seats!