Sunday, December 13, 2009

Getting Ready for Christmas

We've had a fun week of Christmas preparation and activities around here. I've been baking loads of cookies and am planning to make more. My list includes: chocolate covered cherries, chocolate krinkles, molasses krinkles, sugar cookies, chocolate bon-bons (thanks alot, Rach, for giving me such an addictive recipe!), buckeyes, gingerbread cookies, cream cheese candies, mint bars, fudge, chocolate chai bread, and a partridge in a pear tree. We're giving away cookies as gifts this year, so that's why I made so many. The kids took plate-fuls to their Sunday school and children's church teachers today and we're planning to take some to their Tiny Trackers workers on Wednesday. We have a few other plans for the cookies that I'll reveal later. My family is not giving gifts this year, but is instead doing something for others and mine involves cookies, so I can't spoil it for my sibs and parents :)

We also got about a foot of snow on Tuesday, so I gave the boys a snow day on Wednesday. Rob came home early and they all went outside and built a snow fort. Rob was just as excited as they were. He said what they have in the front yard is bigger than anything he built as a child and we're only going to get more snow as the winter progresses, so it should be pretty impressive before it melts. The boys just LOVE getting out there and playing! It was too cold on Thursday and Friday to send them out, but they scampered around as much as they cold on Saturday!

We just got home from our church's cantata, which was wonderful. Ben slept through most of it, but Matthew stayed awake and enjoyed it. We were hopping back in the nursery checking in children since we had loads of visitors, but it was fun. I did have to turn away several children b/c we don't take three-year-olds on Sunday nights. I also had parents trying to check in some 5's, 6's, and I think a 10-year-old! That was kind of crazy.

The boys went to the last library storytime for the year on Tuesday. It was a cookie theme and they got cookies, of course. Anna had fun running around in the baby room playing with toys, only joining her brothers for songs and finger plays.

Ben and I went to a cookie bake on Friday night hosted by a little girl in his Sunday school class and he had a good time. There were many children there he didn't know so he played by himself, but he did enjoy baking cookies.

I also have my Christmas cards finished and plan to mail them out this week. Rob helped me out this year, as well as Ben, so it was a family effort.

Here are a few quotes from our week:

Matthew: (the day after eating chili) "Mom, no more chili for me. That was rough!"

Anna: (To the tune of Ring-Around-the-Rosie) Ring the rosie, Is-a-bel Brody, Anna Anna (and there's no final line.) These are children she plays with in the nursery.

Ben: Well, no quotes for him, but the moms at the cookie bake found him to be a very serious little guy. He's so cute!

No comments: