Saturday, April 25, 2009

We're Finished!!!

Matthew has officially finished his reading lesson book. Praise the Lord!!! It was such a struggle at the start and we almost gave up, but I'm so glad that we persevered. He finished his last two lessons today since he was so close to the end. Reading actually clicked for him somewhere in the 80's lessons and he now believes he can read. I was so excited for him today. And me, really, because that book along with our other pre-school material was our homeschooling tester. I love teaching him now!!

We have also completed our first week of Sonlight Core 4/5. On the advice of a friend, I ordered the preschool core to start him off with Sonlight. We also use some other workbooks for the math and language portion. He just loves it and begged to do some Sonlight today as well. I figured why schelch his desire to learn. We're going to continue with the core into the summer and the early part of his kindergarten year. Since we only school about 45 minutes to an hour per day, I know he doesn't really need a summer break. He will also take swim lessons this summer.

Miss Anna is following in Matthew's footsteps for sure now. While we were working on school stuff this morning, I heard the clink of a glass in the dining room. I yelled out for Rob to check and see if she had tipped over a glass since she can reach things on the table. He yelled back for me to get in there. She had climbed up on top of the table and was sitting in the middle. And yes, she had tipped over a glass. The biggest difference between Matthew at that age and Anna is that Matthew would have laughed at himself b/c he KNEW what he had done. Anna just looked at us like climbing onto the table was the most natural thing in the world. Rob's mom was on the phone with him at the time and said that I had my hands full. I replied that I had my hands full with Matthew. NOW I'm in over my head!!! (Thankfully, Ben's natural fear of heights kept him off the table at that age.)

And I would like to point out that in less that two weeks, Rob will be an official college graduate. Three days left of class which includes one presentation and one paper, then two finals and he's done!! He finishes his work on May 4th and then graduates on May 8th. We plan to celebrate as a family, but we're not sure where or when yet.

1 comment:

gpagmafulkerson said...

Oh boy, Anna, you just want to keep your parents hopping don't you!