Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Our 8th Anniversary

Today was Rob and I's 8th Anniversary and we had a very nice day. I made breakfast this morning and gave Rob a break from cooking. I made him a coffee cake, one of his favorite breakfasts. I will admit that I needed a bit of his help, as I was fighting the morning sickness, but at least the ingredients for the treat did not gross me out :) I tried a new recipe and it turned out very well.

We spent our morning playing with the boys (oh, Rob took a vacation day from work, isn't he sweet?) and we did some errands. Rob and Ben ran over to Maranatha to get his financial aid squared away. We have to jump through a few hoops, as our tax returns look huge compared to what we make, due to taking out retirement early. It's not a big deal and the person Rob deals with is the father of his former college roommate, so that's fun for him. Matthew and I went over to a friend's house to set up her on-line Tupperware party and to practice demonstrating the products on her. We ended up with Ben while Rob ran back home for some paper work, which was fine, because Ben loves to play with Day-ya (David.)

Rob took us to McDonald's for lunch (a rare, but welcome treat) and the boys had fun playing. We had to leave early when Matthew turned into a bully. He can be so sweet, and then turn around and do something horrible (like pull a little girl's hair) the next second. The boys went down for naps and then we got to work on our anniversary gift: a clean study.

The study (or den, or library, or extra room) has been various shades of "in shambles" since we moved in a year ago. We decided to clean it up as a gift to ourselves. Rob took many things down to the basement, I sorted papers, Rob put away books, I taped up a million books the boys have ripped over the past few months, and so on. It looks pretty good. I still have to tackle my desk area and the love seat (a.k.a. Matthew's launch pad) has to be moved in, but it looks WAY better than it did earlier today. Happy Anniversary to us!

Around five o'clock, we took the kids over to another friend's house. We had to use the back entrance, as they sprayed for German Yellowjacket Wasps (or fancy bees, as I call them...Rob calls them imported bees) at their front entrance. The kids had a blast as we took ourselves to the Pine Cone, a fun restaurant in nearby Johnson Creek (sorry, Rach, JC-town *snicker*) It's a truck stop, so the food is that downhome cooking type of stuff, the portions are enormous, and it's very cheap. Their desserts are also huge, delicious, and cheap, but we were too stuffed to even look at them. We then went window shopping at the outlet mall. I glanced over Motherhood Maternity. I don't really need anything but I just like to look. :) We also looked longingly at little girl clothes at Little Me and then got our free coffee, I mean, window shopped at Harry and Davids.

We went home to put the leftovers in the fridge, then went to the library. Yes, we are nerds and we went to the library on our anniversary date. But just picture it this way: Think of your favorite place to hang out. Picture it with your kids. Now, picture yourself there without your kids. Isn't the second picture much quieter and less distracting?? That's why we went to the library!

We did get the kids earlier than we told Michelle (we said we'd pick them up in the morning) and brought them home for showers and bed. It's been a good day. Praise the Lord that my morning sickness hasn't been too bad and I've actually been able to eat three full meals today. Usually I skip one meal, eat one sparingly, and eat normal at the third....never the same meal the same way two days in a row. I told Rob that this child has got to be a girl because she's already giving her momma grief......

Anyway, that's all for now!

3 comments:

The Harrisons said...

You guys are so cute! I love reading all your stories! Sounds like a good anniversary to me :-)

hartgirlies said...

I can't believe that it has been that long since little Aubree walked down the aisle in that little blue dress. It has been passed down to all of them now. Hopefully I can pass it back to you soon!
Happy A Day, guys!
By the way...I do LOVE the fact that I don't ever talk to my cousin, but am soul sisters with his wife!
Shell

Shanti said...

Just remember, I have some really cute girl dresses you can have--if it's a girl.

Happy belated anniversary. OR rather, belated happy anniversary. or happy anniversary belated. oh never mind. I need some sleep.