Monday, January 7, 2008

Third time's a charm

I took the three hour test this morning and failed three of the four tests. The fourth one was right at the borderline. So, I have gestational diabetes again. I'm not very surprised at all and I have lots of things to be thankful for, which I will list below.

1. It's only for 10 more weeks.
2. I've done it twice already, so there are few surprises in store.
3. They didn't draw blood, just pin pricks, so it didn't hurt too bad.
4. The boys were well-behaved for their daddy.
5. I got to eat at Schlotzsky's Deli afterwards :)
6. The time flew by.
7. Rob doesn't go into work until 3pm, so I have been able to recover from the whole thing.
8. The orange stuff didn't taste too bad and I was so thirsty that I gulped it down.
9. My nurse was fun to talk to.
10. I got to watch "The Price is Right" while I waited.

So, it wasn't all bad. Thanks to everyone who prayed for me!

4 comments:

The Harrisons said...

I thought the orange stuff was pretty good too :-) Glad it's only for ten weeks - I'll have to send you some chocolate when it's all done :-)

gpagmafulkerson said...

Prayers are on their way for you.
Great that you counted your blessings instead of dwelling on the negative.

Anonymous said...

Glad that the test is overwith and that you're not too bummed...

I was just wondering...if you follow the GD diet from the very beginning of your pregnancy, would you still test with high blood sugars when you took the glucose test? Or would it "prevent" GD from developing? (I realize that following ANY sort of diet the 1st trimester is a pipe dream.)

Unknown said...

Yep. It has to do with the hormones of pregnancy colliding with the insulin production in the body. I have heard from multiple medical sources that eating "wrong" cannot cause diabetes at all. Being overweight is a factor, but not a wrong diet. (Like all those skinny people who live on sugar but never get diabetes.) It's also partly genetic, and it does run in my family on both sides. I had it with Ben starting at seven weeks gestation and they tested my blood to see if I had it before pregnancy (don't ask me how they can figure that out) and I was fine, so it was definitely pregnancy related.

And staying on that diet and keeping blood sugars low during the first trimester was nearly impossible, but I did it. I need to follow the diet well because I do not want to end up on insulin, but even that can happen no matter how well I eat. Fun, fun!