Friday, January 4, 2008

WHAT????

So I went in for my prenatal check-up this morning and did the one hour glucose test. I dutifully drank the stuff (tasted like over-sweetend Hawaiian punch....better than the other things I drank in previous pregnancies) and had my blood drawn. I failed the test and will have to do the three hour test on Monday, but I expected that to happen. Here's the weird part of it all: I HAVE TO EAT A HIGH-CARB, HIGH-SUGAR DIET UNTIL I TEST!!!

What??? That is just too weird. It's like telling a heart patient, "Hey, we think you are prone to heart attacks, but just in case, here's a side of bacon to eat through." Or offering a potential cancer patient a load of MSG, or asking a guy with a broken leg to walk around for awhile just to make sure he's actually in pain.

I will follow my diet, complete with a tablespoon of sugar at breakfast and desserts after lunch and supper, but Rob has already informed me that if I get too weird on it, I'm going off of it. I'm half-tempted to call the doctor and just ask for the diabetes diet plan and the blood monitor and just start treating myself now.

Good grief.

7 comments:

The Harrisons said...

Man I want to go on that diet!!!

Anonymous said...

I've heard of people going on that high-carb, high-sugar diet before the 1-hour test, to train their bodies to process the sugar as well as it can or something. A friend of mine was doing a high-protein diet during pregnancy (the Blue Ribbon Baby diet, I think), so she failed the 1-hour because of that. She ate high-carb in prep for the 3-hour and passed it fine.

Unknown said...

I did the three hour test twice and never had to eat like this. It's only day one and I don't care to see sugar again! And that explanation makes a bit more sense than what the doctor told me, so thanks!

gpagmafulkerson said...

just remember it is only for certain number of weeks til Anna is here. Look toward the end of the tunnel.

Megan R. said...

Hey, what's wrong with eating Lucky Charms three meals a day?!?!

Unknown said...

So Mom, what tunnel are you referring to?? I'm having a c-section! **snicker**

gpagmafulkerson said...

I meant time tunnel. Goofy.