Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Viva La Difference

I saw the nurse who deals with diabetic counseling today and it was a good review with some interesting differences. Let me list them, because lists are fun and exciting.

1. I can eat ketchup. I was denied that condiment the last two times.
2. I have to test 5 times a day instead of four. :(
3. She told me NOT to wash my hands before I test. I have experienced a HUGE difference in washing my hands before I test, so that was kind of weird.
4. I was told to use the same lancet all day long instead of a new one with each test. Hmmm...
5. I was told to seal my lancets in a container and throw them in the regular trash. In Cali they were treated as a biohazard and had to be dumped differently. Again, hmmm.....
6. Meat, cheese, cottage cheese, and a few other surprises are considered free foods unless I eat so much that they count as carbs. Before, I had to ration them.
7. I can have sweets as long as they don't consistently shoot up my sugar levels. Well, I have to cut them out right now, but she might add them back if I'm okay.
8. The numbers have changed. For fasting, I have to be below 95 instead of 100 and the rest below 140 instead of 145.
9. It looks like I have to continue testing for awhile AFTER the baby is born.
10. I did get a cool new blood monitor with more buttons. Maybe it doubles as a personal planner or something...that would be cool....I haven't read the instructions yet. j/k

And I learned NOT to take the kids with me EVER AGAIN for long appointments. I can't type about it.....I'll have nightmares.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same lancet all day? No hand-washing prior??? Isn't that a MRSA infection waiting to happen??????

Shanti said...

"And I learned NOT to take the kids with me EVER AGAIN for long appointments. I can't type about it.....I'll have nightmares"

Oh dear. Was that the day I was supposed to babysit them? Next time I'll consider it an emergency and babysit them--sick or not.

As it is, looks like David will have to be on his inhaler again... *sigh*
He's starting up that "dry cough" thing again, but I think using the inhaler has nipped it in the bud and it's getting better already.

Unknown said...

Megan--Yup..that's kind of what I was thinking, which is why I'm washing my hands. I'm trying the one lancet a day thing, but I'm getting high numbers, so I'm going to do it my way for a bit.

Shanti--yeah, that was the day. I threatened Matthew a bit, but didn't go through with it because it had to be hard to sit that still for that long with not much too do except look at books.