Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Saga Continues

At Matthew's doctor visit last week, we learned that the law changed a bit and those of us on Badgercare/Title 19/whatever it's called have to have the children checked for lead yearly. Fine by me...we live in an old house so it's nice to know. Matthew had his checked at the appointment, amidst much yelling and screaming. The doctor's office called and had me bring in Ben since he did not have his checked at his appointment in March. Ben was rather excited b/c he knew he got an ice cream cone from McDonald's afterwards.

Well. About two minutes before he and Rob were ready to walk out the door, the doctor's office called with the news that Matthew tested a little high and would we please bring him in for a veinous draw to double-check? (Anna had that happen as well and she was fine after the second draw.) And this is where it gets a little rough....Matthew refused to go. In fact, he was weeping and screaming while cowering in the corner. I grabbed his shoes, Rob grabbed him, and he was carried to the car kicking and screaming. Yikes. Good thing our neighbors know us well!

Matthew had settled down by the time they arrived and I guess he and Ben fought over who had to go first. Ben lost but did a great job. Rob said he looked a little concerned but didn't cry at all. (And Rob talked the nurse into a veinous draw since it's more accurate than the finger poke.) Matthew started screaming when Rob went to put him on the table and didn't stop until they left. When they got home I asked Matthew, "Well, that wasn't so bad, was it?" He said, "It was just as bad as I thought it would be!" and almost started crying again.

**sigh** Two out of three isn't bad for kids who like the doctor, is it???

3 comments:

Megan R. said...

My kids are overdue for the second draws (our state has us do it twice between 1 and 5 years or something like that). I had a Rx from the doctor to have the blood drawn well over a year ago but never got around to taking the kids (kinda takes three adults to hold down a screaming, thrashing preschooler). And the ped didn't mention it at their appts a few weeks ago. I probably should call and ask about getting new slips for the blood work. We've been in this house for a couple of years, and it'd be good know that things are fine.

Natalie said...

My pediatrician doesn't require the kids to be lead tested since we don't live in an older house. I'm very thankful for this. When Jonathan was 4 it took 4 people to give him his shots. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to have his blood taken!

The Harrisons said...

I'm right there with you Matthew - it IS as bad as you think it will be. I totally hate getting blood drawn and every time I tell myself it's not that bad and then it is. lol. It might be worth ice-cream though but when you're my age you just have to suck it up...